This page describes how to run coreboot on the ASUS P8Z77-M.
|Dual BIOS feature||no|
The flash chip is located between the blue SATA ports.
The main SPI flash cannot be written internally because Asus disables BIOSWE and
BLE/SMM_BWP flags in
BIOS_CNTL for their latest bioses.
To install coreboot for the first time, the flash chip must be removed and
flashed with an external programmer; flashing in-circuit doesn’t work.
The flash chip is socketed, so it’s easy to remove and reflash.
- All USB2 ports (mouse, keyboard and thumb drive)
- USB3 ports on rear (Boots SystemRescue 6.0.3 off a Kingston DataTraveler G4 8GB)
- Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8111F)
- SATA3, SATA2 (all ports, hot-swap not tested) (Blue SATA2) (Blue SATA2) (White SATA3) port 5 port 3 port 1 port 6 port 4 port 2
- CPU Temp sensors and hardware monitor (some values don’t make sense)
- Native and MRC memory initialization (please see [Native raminit compatibility] and [MRC memory compatibility])
- Integrated graphics with both libgfxinit and the Intel Video BIOS OpROM (VGA/DVI-D/HDMI tested and working)
- 16x PCIe GPU in PCIe-16x/4x slots (tested using nVidia Quadro 600 under SystemRescue 6.0.3 (Arch based))
- Serial port
- PCI slot Rockwell HSF 56k PCI modem, Sound Blaster Live! CT4780 (cards detected, not function tested) Promise SATA150 TX2plus (R/W OK to connected IDE hard drive, OpRom loaded, cannot boot from SeaBIOS)
- S3 suspend from Linux
- 2-channel analog audio (WAV playback by mplayer via back panel line out port)
- Windows 10 with libgfxinit high resolution framebuffer and VBT
- If you use MRC raminit, the NVRAM variable gfx_uma_size may be ignored as IGP’s UMA could be reconfigured by the blob.
- If SeaBIOS is used for payload with libgfxinit, it must be brought in via coreboot’s config. Otherwise integrated graphics would fail with a black screen.
- PCI POST card is not functional because the PCI bridge early init is not yet done.
- The black PCIEX16_2 slot, although can physically fit an x16, only has physical contacts for an x8, and is electrically an x4 only.
- USB3 on header
- TPM header
- EHCI debugging (Debug port is on the 5-pin side of USB2_910 header)
- HDMI and S/PDIF audio out
- PS/2 keyboard or mouse
- 4 and 6 channel analog audio out: Rear left and right audio is a muted copy of front left and right audio, and the other two channels are silent.
Native (and MRC) raminit compatibility¶
- OCZ OCZ3G1600LVAM 2x2GB kit works at DDR3-1066 instead of DDR3-1600.
- GSkill F3-1600C9D-16GRSL 2x8GB SODIMM kit on adapter boots, but is highly unstable with obvious pattern of bit errors during memtest86+ runs.
- Samsung PC3-10600U 2x2GB kit works at full rated speed.
- Kingston KTH9600B-4G 2x4GB kit works at full rated speed.
|Northbridge||Intel Sandy Bridge-specific documentation|
|Super I/O||Nuvoton NCT6779D|
|Coprocessor||Intel Management Engine|