HP EliteBook 2170p¶
This page is about the notebook HP EliteBook 2170p.
HP EliteBook 2170p was released in 2012 and is now end of life. It can be bought from a secondhand market like Taobao or eBay.
Required proprietary blobs¶
The following blobs are required to operate the hardware:
- EC firmware
- Intel ME firmware
EC firmware can be retrieved from the HP firmware update image, or the firmware backup of the laptop. EC Firmware is part of the coreboot build process. The guide on extracting EC firmware and using it to build coreboot is in document HP Laptops with KBC1126 Embedded Controller.
Intel ME firmware is in the flash chip. It is not needed when building coreboot.
The flash chip is located between the memory slots, WWAN card and CPU, covered by the base enclosure, which needs to be removed according to the Maintenance and Service Guide to access the flash chip. Unlike other variants, the flash chip on 2170p is socketed, so it can be taken off and operated with an external programmer.
Pin 1 of the flash chip is at the side near the CPU.
Flash Chip in 2170p
For more details have a look at the general flashing tutorial.
The board can be debugged with serial port on the dock or EHCI debug. The EHCI debug port is the left USB3 port.
- GRUB payload freezes if at_keyboard module is in the GRUB image ([bug #141])
- Fingerprint Reader
- Dock: Parallel port, PS/2 mouse, S-Video port
- Integrated graphics init with libgfxinit
- Audio: speaker and microphone
- SD Card Reader
- SmartCard Reader
- Keyboard, touchpad and trackpoint
- EC ACPI support and thermal control
- Dock: all USB ports, DVI-D, Serial debug, PS/2 keyboard
- Internal flashing when IFD is unlocked
|CPU||Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge (FCPGA988)|
|PCH||Intel Panther Point QM77|
|Coprocessor||Intel Management Engine|